(1) Ephesians 6vs 18 Praying Always with all prayer and Supplication in the spirit being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all saints: key word is SUPPLICATION which means supply or needy.
Differences between want and need; want is something that we can do without, need is something you can’t do without, God knows best, He promises He will always supply our needs.
Philippians 4vs 6 & 19 Summarized that we should not to be anxious for anything but in everything by prayer, supplication and thanksgiving we should make our request be known unto God. In prayer we should go to God with our requests and petitions not demanding, we should go to God humbly reminding Him of what He says in His words asking and waiting on Him and if it is a genuine need He will usually grant it to you unless He has something better or the timing is off. He won’t give us something just because we want it but He will answer our prayers based on His knowledge and wisdom.
1st Timothy 6 VS 8 Simply saying; all we need is food and raiment (clothes)
(2) 1st Timothy 2 vs 1 Therefore I exhort first supplications, prayers intercessions and giving thanks to be made for all men. The key word is: INTERCESSION which means praying on behalf of someone else that they may fulfil their needs. Jesus is an example of a great intercessor He is seated on the right hand of the Father always interceding for us the bible states.
St Samuel 12vs 23 Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you good and the right way. Samuel is setting a good example for intercessors honoring the Lord in believing that if he refuses to pray for others it is like sinning not willing to see anyone perish.
(3) Nehemiah 11vs 17 Talks about Thanksgiving emphasis on THANKSGIVING we should always come to God with thanksgiving for the gift of salvation and for all that He has done for us. Think of some things GOD has done for you and begin to give Him thanks. We should especially give thanks when we are feeling down, go to God and start giving Him thanks for all He has done it will lift you up and give you joy. God likes when His children are thankful.
Colossians 4vs 2 Gives another example of how we should Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant with thanksgiving.
Colossians 3vs 15 &17 Refers to being thankful in whatever we do in words or deed, it should be done in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. The question to ask ourselves is are we giving Him thanks daily? Even though it is required of us that in whatever circumstance we find ourselves we should give thanks.
4) 2nd Peter 1vs 4 By which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. Key word PROMISE there are many scriptures that refers to promises in the Bible. Nothing is wrong with going to God and quoting bible verses pertaining to His promises especially if it is a promise that we can claim dealing with a specific situation in that moment, not demanding but just reminding Him of what He said in His words.
(5) Romans 12 vs12 Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly instant in prayer. Key word INSTANT which means immediately, we are able to pray to God whenever or wherever . We as Christians have the privilege to go to God at anytime and he will hear us.
When to Pray:
(1) Psalm 63vs 1 Early in the morning
Psalm 5 vs 3
(2) 1ST Timothy 4 vs 3-5 Before we eat, These 3 verses talks about food. God provides food for us and taught us that we should bless our meal before we eat. We should get in the habit of praying over our food before we eat regardless of the time of the day we choose to eat.
(3) Mark 14 vs 38 Temptation There are times we are tempted because we were born in sin and is drawn away by our lust, its then that we should get on our knees and ask God to not allow you to follow thru with whatever it is your flesh is desiring for you to do. Our petitition can be something like Lord I am tempted to do this thing but I know it’s wrong, the Lord will then give you the strength not to carry thru with that action.
1st Corinthians 10 vs 13 This is one of the best verse to keep you from temptation, this is a promise from God that if temptation comes in your way, He will make a way for you to escape that we don’t have to give in to that temptation.
(4) Psalm 120 vs 20 Pray during Hard times, David is talking about a time when he went through difficult times and was distressed. We all go through tough times in our lives this is when we should cry out unto the Lord for help or as the term goes ” wrestle in prayer”.
Ephesian 6vs 12 We as Christians will need to wrestle against spiritual wickedness its especially in those times we should go to God in prayer.
1st Peter 4 vs 7 We should watch and pray.
Model of Prayer
Matthew 6 vs 5-15 Jesus said when you pray here is what you should say. This is another model of Jesus teaching His disciples to pray.
Model 1 Matt 6 vs 5
Avoid public performance
Do what you were asked to do anything else is public performance.
Model 2 Matt 6 vs 6 / 1st Corinthians 14 vs 1-33
Everyone should have a private prayer life
Eliminate programme praise.
1 Praise- vs 9: Hallowed be thy name.
2 Rule vs 10: Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done.
3 Accommodation vs 11: Give us this day our daily bread e.g. God’s will be done on this day.
4 Iniquity vs 12: Forgive us our daily debts (vs 14-15) e.g. pray for our sins. Reaffirm that I have forgiven that person.
Reaffirm the importance of forgiveness.
5 Shield vs 13: Lead us not into Temptation e.g. build an edge around us that means we are praying to God not the devil.
6 Empire vs 13: Kingdom Power and the Glory e.g. Ask for the sake of Gods Kingdom to be advanced, if you advance in Gods Kingdom He will make it happen.